Monday, March 14, 2011

Kimberly Trowbridge: Teaching Painting

I'm a fan of Kimberly Trowbridge's work, and I really like Ms. Trowbridge's page of student work and information on her methods of teaching painting. She writes:

In teaching painting, I aim to teach a mode of thinking and seeing rather than a stylistic approach. My hope is that students can apply this critical thinking to any number of personal and expressive forms throughout their development. No matter the specific subject matter addressed in my courses, my primary focus remains consistent: Color and Space. I teach the direct painting method from observation as the means for engaging with a formal visual vocabulary...

I am part of a lineage of painters that descends from Charles Hawthorne, including Edwin Dickinson, Lennart Anderson, and Tim Kennedy. As part of this lineage, I believe in the rigorous translation of the observed world and the power of “spots” of true color to express the essence and integrity of a given space or form. At the very heart of learning how to paint is the ability to see color relationships and to mix equivalent responses on the palette. I stress the importance of palette organization as a tool for organizing one’s thoughts. Each color decision is based on the three relative questions that are fundamental to my teaching: What value is it? What temperature is it? How intense is it?

No comments: